Monday 28 January 2013

A Very Literary Fellow


I'm going to be infesting The Emirates Airline Festival of Literature again this year. For the first time, I'm on the main programme, so I'll have the smoking jacket, cravat and a Sobranie in an ebonite holder.

On Thursday 7th March at 5.30pm, I'm moderating The Blogging Panel and will be joined onstage by some pretty heavyweight blogging types: social commentator, writer and journalist Shobhaa De, Russian crime fiction writer and social activist Boris Akunin, CNN journalist Caroline Faraj and locally-based newly-published author Kathy Shalhoub. For your Dhs60, you'll get an hour of insight into why these people bother with blogs, heated debate about the nature and changing role of media and, if I have anything to do with it, some troublemaking. I have the distinct feeling there'll be drinks afterwards...

On Friday 8th March from 3-4pm, I'll be onstage with Egyptian author of Come With Me From Jerusalem Kamal Abdel-Malek, talking about our Tales of Two Cities (I'll be blethering about Beirut - An Explosive Thriller, of course). We're both chatty, engaging types with plenty to say, so this session promises to be lively, interesting and impossibly random, which will be just lovely! Again,
you'll be relieved of Dhs 60 for the privilege!

And then on Saturday the 9th, from 1.30-2.30, I'll be in the delightful position of taking to the stage to chat with chef, cookery school owner and writer Anissa Helou in a session titled Life as a Modern Mezze! As any of you who remember The Blog Formerly Known As The Fat Expat will attest, I am far too interested in food for my own good, so I'm really looking forward to this session. A formidable intellect with many hats, Anissa will undoubtedly provide an hour's thought provoking and entertaining dialogue as well as a few tips for getting that mujadarah just right! :) Once again, the pleasure will cost you a mere Dhs 60.

And before you ask, no, none of the proceeds end up in my pocket! See you there!
 

No comments:

From The Dungeons

Book Marketing And McNabb's Theory Of Multitouch

(Photo credit: Wikipedia ) I clearly want to tell the world about A Decent Bomber . This is perfectly natural, it's my latest...